This is a curated list of video resources relating to the process of leaving Judaism.
Documentaries on leaving Judaism
- Unorthodox (Netflix, 2020) (IMDB) - "A Hasidic Jewish woman in Brooklyn flees to Berlin from an arranged marriage and is taken in by a group of musicians — until her past comes calling." This popular series attracted much attention internationally as it opened a window onto communities which are largely unobserved in mainstream western culture.
- Community in Conflict: Hasidic Jews & Defection (YouTube, 2018) - Fox News interviews 3 ex-Hasidic Jews from New York and asks them about their paths.
- One of Us (Netflix, 2017) (IMDB) - "Penetrating the insular world of New York's Hasidic community, focusing on three individuals driven to break away despite threats of retaliation."
Breaking free of ultra-orthodox communities (DW.com, 2017) - About how Hillel helps young people who are leaving ultra-orthodox Judaism. Focuses on Batya, who comes out as both secular and lesbian.(No longer available)
- Jewish Atheists (YouTube, 2012) - A documentary by David Shuman.
- Trembling Before G-D (YouTube, 2011) (IMDB) - A documentary of the lives of some gay Orthodox Jews who struggle to reconcile their faith and their sexual orientation. (Grainy quality, Spanish subtitles). See the Wikipedia article about this movie.
Documentaries on sexual abuse in ultra-orthodox Jewish communities
- Code of Silence - Sexual Abuse in the Jewish Community (YouTube, 2015) - Follows the parallel journeys of a fervently Orthodox Jewish father and his now-secular son, after the son Manny breaks the code of silence in Melbourne’s Orthodox community and goes public with his story of being sexually abused as a school student.
- The Malka Leifer Story ("Off The Derech", 2018) - An Israeli school principal in Australia alleged to have sexually abused her students, and who escaped to Israel, is exposed by her victims while she enjoys strong solidarity from the Israeli ultra-orthodox community.
- Britain's Hidden Child Abuse - London's Orthodox Jewish Community (YouTube, 2013) - UK Channel 4's documentary exposes evidence of religious officials hiding child sex abuse in their communities after secretly filming a senior rabbi telling a victim not to involve the police.
YouTube channels by formerly religious Jews and atheist Jews
- The Common Atheist
- Fundie to Frei
- Hashkafa with a Heretic
- Undercover Kofer - Includes counter-apologetics and video clips generally intended for use as part of posts on the Undercover Kofer blog
Talk Show Call-ins
- Arguing for Judaism (YouTube), from The Atheist Experience - Caller argues for Judaism and is challenged by show hosts Russell and Don.
- "Judaism is the True Religion" (YouTube), from The Atheist Experience - Hosts Tracie Harris and Reggie Beloved talk with a caller who brings up arguments for Judaism.
This is a collection of academic lectures and documentaries relating to Judaism's historical claims
User-friendly academic content
- Digital Hammurabi (YouTube) - YouTube channel with accessible academic information broadly covering Ancient Near East history, archeology, and the Hebrew Bible. Also addresses issues and questions relating to the authorship and the historical setting of the Hebrew Bible.
- Pagan Origins of Judaism (YouTube) - Describes the polytheistic origins of Jewish theology and the Torah.
- "Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism" - A 15-part series of short videos by Aron Ra which debunk the claims of creationism. (Not specific to Judaism)
- "Nothing Fails Like Biblical History" (YouTube) by 'Holy Koolaid' - "Did the Exodus really happen? Was Moses real, and were the Jews ever slaves in Egypt? Is there any proof of the Exodus or is it all myth?"
- Introduction to the Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) (yale.edu) - A free Yale University course introducing the Hebrew Bible and its origins from an academic point of view. By Professor Christine Hayes.
- The UCSD Exodus Conference (YouTube) - Recorded at a the conference by the same name. A playlist containing dozens of lectures by archeologists, historians, and Biblical scholars representing the spectrum of academic perspectives, relating to early Jewish history and the discussions on the historicity and origin of the narrative of the Exodus from Egypt.
- The Bible Unearthed (YouTube) - A documentary by archeologists Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman on the origins of Judaism and the Torah.
- The Bible's Buried Secrets (Netflix) - A three-part BBC documentary presented by Professor Francesca Stavrakopoulou on the origins of Judaism. Episodes include:
- Did King David's Empire Exist? (available on YouTube)
- Did God Have a Wife?, and
- The Real Garden of Eden
- "God and Religion in the New Century" (YouTube, 2004) - "God and religion - divine treasure or poisonous bilge?" Christopher Hitchens debates Rabbi Shmuley Boteach. Video is low-quality but watchable.
- "Debate on God" (YouTube, 2008) Christopher Hitchens debates Rabbi Shmuley Boteach
- "Is There an Afterlife?" (YouTube) - Christopher Hitchens debates Rabbi Shmuley Boteach
- "The Great God Debate" (YouTube, 2010) - Christopher Hitchens debates Conservative Rabbi David Wolpe.
- "Science and Religion" (YouTube, 2012) - Richard Dawkins debates Rabbi Jonathan Sacks.
- "Is there an Afterlife?" (YouTube) - Debate between Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Rabbi David Wolpe, and Conservative Rabbi Bradley Shavit Artson.
Pro-Judaism apologetics aimed at attacking the views of atheists or non-believers
- "Debating an Atheist" (YouTube) - Rabbi Dovid Gottlieb teaching students 'how to debate an atheist'.